Smoked Blue Catfish Cakes
- 12 oz smoked fish
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- ½ cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1 red bell pepper minced
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp minced fresh dill
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Butter for frying
- In a food processor bowl fitted with a steel blade, pulse the fish, relish, bread crumbs and bell pepper until finely chopped. Scrape into a bowl and mix in the soy sauce, mayonnaise, eggs, dried herbs, dill and pepper. Add more bread crumbs, if necessary, to make a firm fish mixture. Form into twelve or so (three inch) patties.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, heat enough butter to generously coat the bottom of the pan. Arrange the fish cakes, not touching, in the pan and cook until brown on both sides, turning once (about four minutes per side). Cakes should be moist but not mushy inside. Top with a dollop of tartar sauce or your favorite fish sauce.