Summertime Beef Meatloaf
Conceived by cattle farmer and blogger, Anne Burkholder, this meatloaf is different than the rest with an unexpected twist of herb stuffing mix and tomatoes on the inside.
- 2 pounds ground beef 93% lean or leaner
- 2/3 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup savory herb stuffing mix
- 2 large sliced tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line rack on broiler pan with aluminum foil. Combine Ground Beef, bread crumbs, eggs and pepper in medium mixing bowl, mixing gently but thoroughly. Shape half of beef mixture into 8 by 4-1/2-inch loaf on prepared rack. Top beef with stuffing mix and half the tomatoes; gently pressing into beef. Top with remaining beef mixture, pressing to completely cover stuffing and tomatoes. Seal edges of meatloaf. Top meatloaf with remaining tomato slices.
- Bake uncovered in 350°F oven 1-1/2 hours or until instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 155°F. Turn broiler to high. Broil meatloaf for 5 minutes or until tomatoes are caramelized and instant-read thermometer registers 160°F. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.