Naptown Moules (Rules!)
Mussels in homemade broth
Course: Main Course
Author: Teddy Folkman
Crab and Corn Stock
- 1 lb crab shells Substitute 3 tbsp Minor's Crab base for shells
- 2 stalks celery sliced in 2 in pieces
- 1 large carrot sliced in 2 in pieces
- 2 cobs corn
- 1 large onion large dice
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 bottle citrus flavored IPA
- 2 qts cold water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups half and half
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 4 cups crab and corn stock
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb Roma Old Bay Sausage diced
- 2 ears corn grilled and cut from husk, save cobs for stock
- 4 lbs mussels
- 11/2 qts base sauce
Crab and Corn Stock
- Roast the crab shells at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until they become brittle.
- Place crab shells in a large plastic bag (1 gallon freezer bag works best) and with a mallet or similar object, crush the crab shells.
- In a large pot, sweat the carrots, onions, celery and garlic until soft.
- Add in corn cobs and crab shells.
- Stir all ingredients and turn up heat to medium high and add in bottle of IPA.
- Cook for 3 minutes and then add in water.
- Turn heat down to a simmer and allow mixture to reduce for about 45 minutes (mixture should reduce by about 1/3).
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer (use cheesecloth if you have it in order to eliminate shells).
- Cool and store in labeled container.
- Melt butter in saucepan on medium low heat; stir in flour, onion.
- Cook until thickened and bubbly (5 minutes).
- Gradually add half and half; cook and stir until mixture is hot (do not boil).
- Slowly add in crab and corn stock (do not boil).
- Simmer for 5 minutes and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan brown sausage and corn in butter.
- Add in mussels.
- Stir for one minute.
- Add in base sauce.
- Continue to stir mussels. At about 4 minutes they will start to open.
- At about 6 minutes, all mussels should be open. Discard those that do not open.
- Continue to cook for 2 more minutes
- If sauce is too thick add water.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with a loaf of crusty bread.