Homemade Pumpkin Puree
When choosing your pumpkin, look for a small brightly colored pumpkin with little green or blemishes. Be sure to choose a variety intended for cooking such as sugar pumpkins for the best flavor and texture. A 5-pound pumpkin should give you about 2 cups of puree.Pumpkin can be either baked or boiled but baking does produce the most flavor and the best puree for all of your recipes, sweet or savory!
- 1 Sugar pumpkin
- 1 tbsp olive oil if baking
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash pumpkin and cut in half. Remove seeds and pith.
- Rub pumpkin with olive oil inside and out. Sprinkled with salt.
- Place on a baking tray, cut side down. Bake 35-40 minutes or until tender when pierced.
- Allow to cool and remove skin with a knife. Pumpkin can be cubed or pureed.
- Wash pumpkin and cut in half.
- Remove seeds and pith
- Peel and cut into chunks.
- Place in a large pot and fill with water.
- Boil until pumpkin is soft (about 20 minutes).
- Drain very well
If using in savory recipes, add pepper to the pumpkin before baking. If using in sweet recipes, add a pinch of cinnamon.
Homemade pumpkin puree can be watery (especially if boiled). It should be strained using cheesecloth or coffee filters in a colander before use.