Caramel Apple Cake
Author: Apple Promotion Board
- 1 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 medium tart apples peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- In a mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together sugar, oil, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in the milk, flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring until just blended. Stir in the apples.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-40 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched in the center.
- With a fork pierce cake all over. Pour warm caramel topping all over the cake and then serve warm or at room temperature with a dollop of whipped topping.
- Combine the browned sugar, butter, and cream in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking and stirring for five minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Drizzle over the top of the cake.