Blue Catfish Tacos
Author: Chef Kevin Cauthorne
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh diced garlic
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 8 oz. fillet of blue catfish
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large Beefsteak tomato diced
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 6 corn tortilla shells
- Mix fresh garlic with vinegar and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Mix diced tomato, cumin, soy sauce, and the garlic/vinegar mixture together and refrigerate.
- Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Season the best looking side of you fillet with salt and cracked pepper.
- Heat an oven-safe saute pan on high.
- Pat fish dry with a paper towel.
- Heat oil until it is shimmering and moving around the pan quickly.
- Fire fish by dropping away from you, seasoned side down.
- Lightly season other side of fillet while in pan.
- After 1-2 min gently shake pan to see if fish has released. If fish remains stuck wait longer.
- Flip fish with a metal spatula and sear the other side for 15 seconds.
- Remove pan from heat and place in preheated oven until fish flakes with a fork, about 2-3 more minutes.
- Warm your taco shells in the microwave.
- Double up your taco shells and fill with lettuce, tomato salsa, and 1/3 of your fish.