Sauerkraut and Apples
- 6 tbsp butter
- 4 slices bacon cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 3 tart apples, such as Stayman, Pippin, Granny Smith or Jonagold peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 lbs sauerkraut drained and rinsed
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer you may substitute apple cider
- Black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- Melt butter in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring often, until fat has started to render, about 5 minutes.
- Toss onion and apples in the fat and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in sauerkraut.
- Add beer and season with pepper and caraway seeds. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover the pot. Reduce heat so mixture is just simmering and cook for 45 minutes. Or transfer the covered pot to a 350-degree oven and bake for 1 hour. Stir and serve hot.