Fried Blue Catfish
This blue catfish recipe uses Cajun spices and is fried to perfection. I love a thin, spicy coating and dipping in tartar sauce.
Author: Raschell Rule, MissHomemade.com
- 1 lb catfish fillets
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- oil for frying
- 1 cup ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Old Bay or Cajun seasoning
- lemon wedges
- Whip the eggs and beer together and add the seasoning.
- Mix the cornmeal and flour together and place on a plate.
- Dip the fillet in the seasoned egg mixture and place on the cornmeal/flour mixture.
- Sprinkle the top of the fillet with the dry mixture and press in with your hand.
- Place on a baking sheet and repeat until all fillets are coated.
- Let fish stand for 15 minutes before cooking them in the hot oil.
- Meanwhile, preheat oil to 350 degrees on medium-high heat in a heavy skillet or cast iron pan.
- Carefully place a few pieces of fish in the oil and do not overcrowd.
- Fry until brown and crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes per side (depending on how thick and big the fillets are). If the fish easily flakes with a fork, it is done.
- Place on paper towels and season with a squirt of lemon juice and salt.