Classic Stuffed Peppers
- ½ c uncooked rice
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6 bell peppers tops and cores removed
- 1 c shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small saucepan, prepare rice according to package instructions. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Cook onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 6 minutes. Drain fat.
- Return beef mixture to skillet, then stir in cooked rice and diced tomatoes. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Let simmer until liquid has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Place peppers cut side-up in a 9"-x-13" baking dish and drizzle with oil. Spoon beef mixture into each pepper and top with Monterey jack, then cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake until peppers are tender, about 35 minutes. Uncover and bake until cheese is bubbly, 10 minutes more.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.