Baked Italian Oysters
This hot appetizer is served on the half shell for an elegant presentation. The ground red pepper lends a subtle heat to the breadcrumb topping.
- 1½ slices white bread
- Cooking spray
- ⅓ cup sliced green onions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp ground red pepper
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 24 oysters on the half shell
- 8 lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Place bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form to measure 3/4 cup.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onions, parsley, and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in fresh breadcrumbs, Italian breadcrumbs, and the next 4 ingredients (Italian breadcrumbs through black pepper). Place oysters on a jelly roll pan. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture evenly over oysters.
- Bake the oysters at 450° for 7 minutes or until the edges of the oysters curl. Serve with lemon wedges.