Sausage, Apple, and Dried Cranberry Stuffing
Recipe courtesy of Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyards http://www.smvwinery.com/
- 12 cups seasoned stuffing mix the kind that is cubed
- 1 pound sweet sausages
- 1/4 cup of butter 1/2 stick
- 3 large leeks sliced white and pale green parts only, about 6 cups
- 1 pound of tart green apples peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery w/ leaves
- 4 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 cup dried cranberries about 4 ounces
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 large eggs beaten to blend
- 1 1/3 cups homemade turkey stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute sausages in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, crumbling coarsely with back of spoon (about 10 min). Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl. Pour off any drippings from skillet. Melt butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks, apples, celery and poultry seasoning to skillet; saute until leeks soften (about 8 min). Mix in dried cranberries and rosemary. In a large bowl, add mixture to sausage then mix in bread and parsley. Season stuffing to taste with salt and pepper. Mix eggs into stuffing.
Butter 15x10x2" baking dish. Mix 1 1/3 cups stock or broth into stuffing. Transfer to prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil and bake until heated through (about 45 minutes). Uncover and bake until top is golden brown (about 15 min).
Pair with Sugarloaf Mountain Circe, a Bordeaux blend.