Here's a delightfully different salad that balances the earthy flavor of beets with the natural sweetness of berries. If you prefer, substitute crumbled feta for the goat cheese. —Amy Lyons, Mounds View, Minnesota
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 1 each red and golden beets fresh
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp walnut oil
- 1 tsp honey
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries sliced
- 1/2 cup raspberries fresh
- 1/2 cup blackberries fresh
- 3 tbsp chopped walnuts toasted
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 4 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 oz fresh goat cheese crumbled
- 1 tbsp fresh basil thinly sliced
Place beets in an 8-in. square baking dish; add 1 in. of water. Cover and bake at 400° for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper; set aside. Cool beets; peel and cut into thin slices.
In a large bowl, combine the beets, berries, walnuts and shallot. Pour dressing over beet mixture and toss gently to coat. Divide salad greens among 4 serving plates. Top with beet mixture; sprinkle with cheese and basil.